what viewfinder?

Buy, sell and barter cameras and accessories.

Moderators: Abbazz, Peter Evans

what viewfinder?

Postby gameone » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:47 am

Hello,
I bought a 65mm and a 180 together, so I have three lenses now including the 100mm I allready owned.
What is a good viewfinder for these three lensen?
A universal or dedicated? Since fuji's finders are realy hard to come by, Are there other brands that are usable?
Since there is quite some firsthand experience here, I wanna ask you,
thanks!
greets Sam
gameone

Re: what viewfinder?

Postby Abbazz » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:12 am

gameone wrote:I bought a 65mm and a 180 together, so I have three lenses now including the 100mm I allready owned.
What is a good viewfinder for these three lensen?
A universal or dedicated? Since fuji's finders are realy hard to come by, Are there other brands that are usable?
Since there is quite some firsthand experience here, I wanna ask you

Hi Sam,

Congratulations on your purchase!

One big advantage of the 6x9 format is that it's homothetic to 35mm. It is therefore possible to use any viewfinder designed for a 35mm camera on the big Fujis. The 65mm lens on 6x9 has the same field of view as a 28mm on 24x36 and the 180mm on 6x9 is equivalent to 78mm on 24x36. You can get a new Voigtlander 28mm Brightline Viewfinder for $159 and a new 75mm Viewfinder for $128 from Cameraquest. Of course, you could also get these used if you are on a tighter budget, or look for a now discontinued Voigtländer plastic 28mm finder. There are also viewfinders for the Mamiya Press or Mamiya Universal line of cameras, which were designed for 6x9 format and are quite abundant on eBay (at least the 65mm finder). But if you are looking for a viewfinder at bargain price, then nothing beats the Russian turret finder, like this one:

Photo credit: http://www.rus-camera.com/

You should be able to locate one for about $50 shipped on eBay if you are not in a hurry. This finder delivers a rather small and dim image but this is enough for framing in my opinion. It features settings for 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and 135mm lenses. 85mm is a bit narrow for the big 180mm Fuji lens but it is not so bad: framing is not very accurate on a rangefinder camera anyway, even on a Leica :lol:.

Cheers!

Sebastien
Abbazz
Site Admin

Return to Marketplace