New arrival to the world of 6x9

Buy, sell and barter cameras and accessories.

Moderators: Abbazz, Peter Evans

New arrival to the world of 6x9

Postby elan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:17 am

For years I have seen the world through 6x6. Time for a change. I have recently purchased a 690BL with its 100mm plus a 65mm. I was delighted to find your site. It is refreshing to observe that I'm not the only odd person within the photographic world who is NOT heading down the digital route. 6x9 is the largest size within the medium format world. Having experienced 4x5 years ago, I'm looking forward to obtaining quality images from 6x9 without the weight of 4x5.

Brian
elan

Re: New arrival to the world of 6x9

Postby Abbazz » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:20 am

elan wrote:For years I have seen the world through 6x6. Time for a change.

Welcome aboard, Brian and congratulations on your new acquisition. It seems obvious that 6x9 negatives are bigger than 6x6 negatives, but the difference in size is bigger than many think. For people who don't print square pictures, 6x9 is twice as big as 6x6. To use an analogy from the digital world, it's about the same quality leap as going from a crop format DSLR to a full size 24x36 camera.

As for 4x5 cameras, they offer even better image quality and unrivaled flexibility, but their main drawback for everyday picture taking is not that much their weight, it's rather their awkward handling. I find the big Fuji 6x9s are a very good compromise between image quality and ease of use.

Please post your images here, even though you will need to digitize them to feature them on the forum :grin:

Cheers!

Sebastien
Abbazz
Site Admin

Return to Marketplace