Filter sizes on each of the lenses

A place to discuss 6x9 photography from a technical standpoint.

Moderators: Abbazz, Peter Evans

Filter sizes on each of the lenses

Postby eclecticbuzzard » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:59 pm

Hi,
I have a G690 with the 100mm f/3.5 lens on it, and I found out the filter size is 72mm by trying different lens caps in a camera shop. Anyway, I am interested in getting one of the 65mm lenses (and maybe even one of the 50mm lenses if one ever shows up on ebay), and I was wondering if the filter size on the 65mm lens is the same as the 100mm? I have checked several websites devoted to Fuji medium format, and none of the ones I've seen mention anything about the filter size. I don't even think the original G690 manual tells the filter sizes. It would be a nice touch if the filter size could be added to each lens description on this site.
eclecticbuzzard

Re: Filter sizes on each of the lenses

Postby Abbazz » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:11 am

Hi,

All the lenses ever made for the G690/GL690/GM670 cameras use the same 72mm filter thread. That is a big plus, because filters are quite expensive in this size!

Thanks for your suggestion. I am going to upgrade the "Lenses" section of this site with a specifications table.

Abbas
Abbazz
Site Admin

Postby Peter Evans » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:26 pm

72mm is indeed the filter size for the regular 100/3.5 lens, and the hood screws onto this thread as well. Question: how about capping this? I don't know of any cap designed for the hood. You can of course unscrew the hood and clip in a 72mm cap. However, I've discovered that a 77mm lenscap fits in the hood fairly neatly and very firmly. I mean by this the kind of cap that has two springy bits designed to clip inside a 77mm filter thread. I use an old lenscap branded "Tamron" that was probably designed for some monster zoom lens or similar. It's about as effective as switching between the hood and a 72mm cap -- though I don't suppose the arrangement is completely lightproof, if that's an issue -- but it's much less time-wasting/fiddly.
Peter Evans

Return to Tech Talk