flash unit for GW670 III

A place to discuss 6x9 photography from a technical standpoint.

Moderators: Abbazz, Peter Evans

flash unit for GW670 III

Postby tim_c » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:07 pm

Hello There,

I've just purchased a GW670 III and am very happy with it; medium format photography is amazing. Can anyone recommend a simple unit with an adjustable head angle that works well? I'll be using it for outdoor fill-in as well as indoor/nightime shots. I'm new to flash with film but I have a dedicated Canon speedlite I use with my XTi occasionally, so not a complete novice.

Thanks, Tim C.
tim_c

Re: flash unit for GW670 III

Postby Abbazz » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:28 pm

tim_c wrote:Hello There,

I've just purchased a GW670 III and am very happy with it; medium format photography is amazing. Can anyone recommend a simple unit with an adjustable head angle that works well? I'll be using it for outdoor fill-in as well as indoor/nightime shots. I'm new to flash with film but I have a dedicated Canon speedlite I use with my XTi occasionally, so not a complete novice.

Hi Tim,

There are lots of good flash units available both new and used that would be usable with the GW670. Anything with a guide number over 24 (in meters, or 70 in feet) should be usable for your purpose. I would second Dante Stella's recommendation: get a Nikon SB-20, which is an excellent and well built flash that is available used for very little money, as the cameras it was designed to mount on are now obsolete. It has a more than adequate guide number of 32 and is fully adjustable, both in automatic and manual modes. A detailed review is available on Dante's superb website: http://www.dantestella.com/technical/sb20.html

Cheers!

Sebastien
Abbazz
Site Admin

Re: flash unit for GW670 III

Postby tim_c » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:41 pm

Thanks Sebastien,

Have read the review link you posted and it sounds like exactly what I need; I really like the simple graphic nature of the flash unit's rear panel. The prices for S/H units are also very reasonable.

Thanks again, Tim
tim_c

Return to Tech Talk