Rear lens cap possibilities

A place to discuss 6x9 photography from a technical standpoint.

Moderators: Abbazz, Peter Evans

Rear lens cap possibilities

Postby andrewroy » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:39 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have a GL690 and 65 f/8 and just bought a 100mm f/3.5 from keh.com - it's en route. I had a CLA on the GL690 and the 65 and they are both wonderful to work with - it's a little cold loading film outside in New England right now but I'm looking forward to spring.

I'm writing to ask for tips on a source for a rear lens cap (or two) or an alternative option for a rear lens cap - I have a Koni Rapid Omega system and found an old Schneider-Kreuznach (sp?) lens cap that perfectly covers the rear element of my 58mm. I don't really care about a collectible, I just want to keep the element safe when the lens is off the camera.

Any tips/advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated. I really like my GL690 (I had a GA645 for a while but I just don't like automated cameras, despite it's great size, weight, and lens). Thanks to Sebastien for this great site, and have a great weekend everyone.

Andrew
andrewroy

Re: Rear lens cap possibilities

Postby Abbazz » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:36 am

andrewroy wrote:Hello Everyone,

I have a GL690 and 65 f/8 and just bought a 100mm f/3.5 from keh.com - it's en route. I had a CLA on the GL690 and the 65 and they are both wonderful to work with - it's a little cold loading film outside in New England right now but I'm looking forward to spring.

I'm writing to ask for tips on a source for a rear lens cap (or two) or an alternative option for a rear lens cap - I have a Koni Rapid Omega system and found an old Schneider-Kreuznach (sp?) lens cap that perfectly covers the rear element of my 58mm. I don't really care about a collectible, I just want to keep the element safe when the lens is off the camera.

Andrew,

Rear lens caps for the Fuji wide angles are uncommon. Maybe your best bet would be to visit photo fairs in your region with your lens in hand and to try every lens cap you come by.

andrewroy wrote:Thanks to Sebastien for this great site

You're very welcome.

Cheers,

Sebastien
Abbazz
Site Admin

Thanks Sebastien

Postby andrewroy » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:59 pm

Hi Sebastien,

I figured it would probably come to this, but I was hoping someone might know of a close fit that could help narrow my search. I'll check out the Photographica show in April (it gets smaller every year) and maybe a few little shops that still keep junk boxes of caps and filters.

Have a good day,

Andrew
andrewroy

A pleasant surprise!

Postby andrewroy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:19 am

Hello Everyone,

I am writing to share a nice discovery I made today. I wrote earlier about searching for a rear lens cap. While I haven't had a chance to find a Fujica or Fujinon manufactured cap, I did discover that the cover to a Paterson or Samigon developing tank (the cap that snaps/slides on, not the threaded light-tight but not liquid-tight one) fits with a little tap along the inner edge of the cap as a shim (to keep the edge tight. Now I have two rear lens caps without any expense (I have a lot of old developing tanks at work and many spare caps).

Without the tape, the cap still protects the rear eleement - though I doubt this is the case for the 50mm (based on Sebastien's photos on the site). I'd be happy to search for a homebrew/d.i.y. 50mm rear lens cap if anyone wants to part with his/her 50mm :D .

I just thought I'd share this and I hope you all have a good night.

Andrew
andrewroy

Postby Abbazz » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:44 pm

Andrew,

Thanks for the tip.

It appears that we don't have the same type of Paterson tank. I guess yours are the old type with a grey plastic cover. Mine are the more recent black plastic type:

Those large black caps surely enough are a bad fit for the 50mm Fujinon :grommit: :

Cheers,

Sebastien
Abbazz
Site Admin

Yes, I should have clarified, the older cap style works

Postby andrewroy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:35 pm

Hi Sebastien,

I guess I wasn't clear enough in my post, and you're right the Paterson Super System tank covers (the rubbery ones that work with the funnel shaped locking cap) aren't going to work as rear lens caps. But the older Paterson tanks and the newer Samigon caps do work - here's a link to B&H for quick reference.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... ype=search

Not the best view of the cap, but a fairly familiar sight if you're used to less expensive plastic tanks. I suppose a small peanut butter or jelly jar plastic cap could work as well, depending on the depth and diameter.

Oh well, I hope all's well with you and everyone on the forum. Thanks again for your reply and all your help with all things Fuji. I just shot a test roll with my new (used) 100mm f3.5 and I like it a lot.

Have a good day,

Andrew
andrewroy

Return to Tech Talk