Shooting in cold weather.

A place to discuss 6x9 photography from a technical standpoint.

Moderators: Abbazz, Peter Evans

Shooting in cold weather.

Postby Max » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:25 pm

Hello everybody, new here. Sebastien, you answered some of my questions in photo.net, thanks for that, I think I have the right strap for my GL690 coming by mail.
Now I'm going on a trip to Ushuaia, south of Argentina, and I might go out on long hikes with the camera and the 100 AE and 50mm. I'll shoot Velvia ISO 100. Any possible problems with freezing temperatures? Condensation? Film problems? My worst fear is weight, carrying that and the tripod, really.
Any comments/suggestions welcome.
Max

Postby Max » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:08 pm

Mmm, That might work for me, but I'm worried about the camera.
Max

Postby Abbazz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:24 am

Hi Max, I am glad to see you here. I loved the 50mm picture you posted on Photo.net.

For the time being, I live in an equatorial climate with almost 100% humidity all year long, so I might not be able to provide helpful advice on an extremely cold climate like the one you'll be likely to experience in Ushuaia (are you going in Autumn?). But I have friends who regularly use Fuji G690 and GW690 for extended treks in the Alps mountains without any problem.

Usually, the first item to fail at lower temperatures is the battery. As the G690 can perform without any battery, it shouldn't be a problem. Be careful though with the AE 100mm, as the only speed available without battery power is 1/500. If it happens to you, you will have to take the battery out of the lens and put it into your pocket or glove until it is sufficiently warm to perform adequately.

Lubricant might also harden at freezing temperatures, so make sure that the focusing ring on your lenses is operating smoothly at normal temperatures. If not, have the lenses CLA-ed before departure. You could ask for lubricants designed especially for extreme temperatures, but I have heard that it is not advisable to leave them on the camera when it's used at normal temperatures, so you will need another CLA when you come back from Ushuaia.

Operating the camera with gloves should not be a problem, as all the commands are generously dimensioned, but I am not sure that loading 120 film in freezing temperatures with the wind blowing all over the place will require some additional training :blob6:

Cheers,

Sebastien
Abbazz
Site Admin

Postby Max » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:57 pm

I also got a new slingshot backpack from Lowepro the 200aw.
But it seems gear now has a completely different specific weight because the camera body and two lenses fit in with room to spare, but i don't think carrying that for seven hours on a single shoulder will be especially funny.
Kind of sad, I guessed it would be perfect.
Max

Postby Abbazz » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:55 am

Max,

Have you tried the Op/tech Super Pro strap? I use one with my GL690 and it makes quite a difference when I have to carry the camera all day long. I use a small bag for film, lenses and filters and I leave the camera dangling around my neck or shoulder. The super wide Op/tech strap is made of foam material that works wonders to distribute the weight of the camera over the whole strap area. It almost makes you forget the hefty weight of the Fuji.

If you want to order one, just make sure you get the model with "design B" lugs and not the "design A", which is only suitable for Hasselblad cameras.

Cheers,

Sebastien
Abbazz
Site Admin

Postby Max » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:24 pm

Sebastien, I just got one of those, together with the bag. I bought it following your advise, and I must say it's very very good. The camera feels very light, balanced, and the strap seems to rest very stable on the shoulder. The funny thing is, the camera on its own feels light, but the bag with one extra lens, one Gossen meter, and a few other small items doesn't feel too comfortable.
The strap is great, one question though. I had some of the plastic locks in my lowepro bags broken without too much stress, probably because of dry plastic or something similar. In the strap case, if one of those breaks the camera would surely fall. Have you used these for long?
Thanks again for the good advise.
Cheers
Max
Max

Postby Abbazz » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:22 am

Max,

When I bought this strap in 2005, I was also a bit worried about these "quick locks". I never had any problem in almost two years of heavy use and they have proven to be reliable.

But I really don't see the purpose of these "quick locks" on a camera strap. Maybe they are meant to make the life easier for camera thieves. :evil6:

Cheers,

Sebastien
Abbazz
Site Admin

Return to Tech Talk