gl690 won't stop advancing film

A place to discuss 6x9 photography from a technical standpoint.

Moderators: Abbazz, Peter Evans

gl690 won't stop advancing film

Postby jacobslide » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:54 am

hi all,

recently purchased a gl690 with the 100mm ae lens, and everything looks great. i mean everything looks to be nearly new! no brassing, nothing, shiny and everything!

however, the film advance won't stop. and, what i mean is that it never locks after 2 advancements - and i can just keep advancing through a full roll with never taking a picture.

anyone have any similar experiences? and if so, what were your solutions? will a CLA help? if repairs are needed, how much do you expect they will cost?

also, i noticed that the ae battery seems to be a little finicky and it has to be just tight enough, but not too tight to capture any reading from the b.c. button. do you believe that getting this cleaned will help? are new battery covers readily available?

thanks for your help! :D
jacobslide

Re: gl690 won't stop advancing film

Postby Abbazz » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:07 am

jacobslide wrote:the film advance won't stop. and, what i mean is that it never locks after 2 advancements - and i can just keep advancing through a full roll with never taking a picture.

Hi Jacob,

Have you checked the Roll/Sheet selector which is located on upper right side of the back of the camera? This selector should be on the "R" position when the camera is used with roll film. "S" is for 6x9 sheet film so there is not film advance automatic stop.

jacobslide wrote:also, i noticed that the ae battery seems to be a little finicky and it has to be just tight enough, but not too tight to capture any reading from the b.c. button.

What kind of battery are you using? I have had some issues when I tried to use 4 x LR44 batteries. Everything got back to normal when I switched to a single A28PX battery (6v alkaline battery; I got mine from B&W).

Cheers!

Sebastien
Abbazz
Site Admin

Postby jacobslide » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:41 pm

Hi Sebastian,

The green button is on the R side, so I do not believe that is the problem.

I am using a 6v duracell, px28 version.

Could it be that the R/S selector is busted and not capable of changing from roll to sheet and always thinks it is a sheet?

Any idea how much this might cost to repair? Because, if just advancing 2 stops works - that is a much cheaper solution. :)

Thanks!
jacobslide

Postby Abbazz » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:31 am

jacobslide wrote:Hi Sebastian,

The green button is on the R side, so I do not believe that is the problem.

I am using a 6v duracell, px28 version.

Could it be that the R/S selector is busted and not capable of changing from roll to sheet and always thinks it is a sheet?

Any idea how much this might cost to repair? Because, if just advancing 2 stops works - that is a much cheaper solution.

I guess your camera needs servicing. Advancing the film 2 full strokes for each exposure won't give you an even frame spacing, as you will end up winding more film for each stroke at the end of the roll than for the first frames, because of the increasing diameter of the receiving spool. Normally, the automatic wind stop would shorten the second stroke according to the diameter of the receiving spool. For example, when reaching the last exposure of the film, the first stroke goes all the way but the mechanism halts the second stroke about half way through its normal travel.

Cheers!

Sébastien
Abbazz
Site Admin

Postby Gargantua » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:56 pm

My camera was doing the the same thing. The cause is probably different, but with mine the film counter window came loose and fell into the film transport. It was at the bottom, beneath all the gears, so the whole thing had to come apart. In total the cost was $150. The place I took it to is on the pricey side, but I trust them to do good work.
Gargantua

Postby Abbazz » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:04 pm

Gargantua wrote:The place I took it to is on the pricey side, but I trust them to do good work.

Would you care to share the name?

Cheers!

Sébastien
Abbazz
Site Admin

Postby Gargantua » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:26 am

This place:

http://www.ictcamera.com/

I also had the shutter on one of my lenses rebuilt by them.
Gargantua

Postby Abbazz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:52 am

Thanks!

Sébastien
Abbazz
Site Admin

Return to Tech Talk