ghost lines

A place to discuss 6x9 photography from a technical standpoint.

Moderators: Abbazz, Peter Evans

ghost lines

Postby marco » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:12 am

Hello all...

I have a slight issue on my camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8607430@N02/2243271317/

I am assuming this link will work but if it does not, please search for marcoinhawaii for the image.

The image has a red marker outlining the problem. Ghosting lines are appearing on my film. The camera works well and shows no major problems or issues. The light seals are tight and pose no issues from what I can see. What I do see is wear on the flocking on the inside chamber of my 690. This worn flocked area is shiny and I can see on my film these faint ghostly lines. Its almost as if the light is refracting back onto the film from the shiny areas leaving these so called ghosting lines.

Any ideas?

Marco
marco

Re: ghost lines

Postby Abbazz » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:50 pm

marco wrote:I have a slight issue on my camera.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8607430@N02/2243271317/
Any ideas?

Hi Marco,

You included a link to your Flickr page, but it's better to use the img tag to include the image in your post, like this:

Concerning the ghosting lines on your picture, it seems to me that wear on the flocking inside the film chamber would produce some veiling flare over the whole image, or some big fuzzy blobs on your images, but not these faint horizontal lines that look rather well defined. Could it be possible that they are due to some processing defect, as they appear to run along the whole length of the frame? Have you checked the interimage space and both ends of the film for these lines?

Great picture, by the way. Which lens did you use?

Cheers!

Sebastien
Abbazz
Site Admin

Postby marco » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:47 pm

The flocking issue is very apparent on the very edges of the camera chamber. It has happened on other rolls of film and they are from different labs. I have run film from my Mamiya RZ recently with no issues. I think I will send off the camera to be looked at by the pros. Someone suggested it might be a pressure plate issue as well but I just don't know.
marco

Postby marco » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:48 pm

The picture was taken at Hanauma Bay in Oahu, Hawaii. Its a bad scan but its a nice beach. I shot it with the standard lens on negative film.
marco

Return to Tech Talk