Fujica GL690 Film Advancing Problem

A place to discuss 6x9 photography from a technical standpoint.

Moderators: Abbazz, Peter Evans

Fujica GL690 Film Advancing Problem

Postby andrewroy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:27 pm

Hello,

I am new to this forum and very appreciative for all of the information on this site. I recently bought a Fujica Gl690 with a 65mm F/8 lens and am excited to use the camera. My first test roll revealed very sharp, detailed negatives but the last two frames on the 120 roll had some overlap with each other.

I've read that repair for Fujica and Fuji rangefinders can be a nightmare as parts are not available. I've only shot this one test roll, so perhaps it's just an occassional thing, but do you have any suggestions for a competent repair person? I've read recommendations for Frank Marshman in VA at photo.net, but in my experience (I teach photography at a Boston area high school) he can be inconsistent (we had several cameras sit with him for over six months only to be returned unrepaired after repeated phone calls). Any suggestions on a good technician who might have or be able to fabricate film advancing parts for a "reasonable" price would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help, and I look forward to learning and shooting more with this great camera.

Andrew Roy
andrewroy

Re: Fujica GL690 Film Advancing Problem

Postby Abbazz » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:33 am

andrewroy wrote:I've read that repair for Fujica and Fuji rangefinders can be a nightmare as parts are not available. I've only shot this one test roll, so perhaps it's just an occassional thing, but do you have any suggestions for a competent repair person?

Welcome, Andrew!

Your problem doesn't seem too serious and I would guess a good CLA should be enough to straighten things up. There are many competent repairmen who could handle that and working on one of these big cameras is actually easier than working on a Leica. You could lend the guy a repair manual (you can order one for $25 from Craig Camera) if he doesn't know the camera.

Cheers,

Sebastien
Abbazz
Site Admin

Postby andrewroy » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:48 pm

Thanks Sebastian,

I just e-mailed Essex Camera Repair in NJ to see if a CLA might be possible.

I hope it will be and won't be too expensive - I didn't pay a lot for the camera (but I may end up spending that savings on the repair).

I have one other question: is the 65mm f/8 lens equipped with a standard pc socket for flash sync? I ask because non of the three pc cables I have fit the flash sync - it doesn't look damaged to my eyes, the outer rim of the flash sync (male end) seems too wide and too long for the small pin or prong to insert in the lens (female) end of the sync connection.

I guess that's another thing I'll probably need to get repaired if I ever want to shoot inside off a tripod - I'd love to see what this camera could do with some bounced flash.

Thanks again for your help, and happy holidays to you and yours,

Andrew
andrewroy

Postby Abbazz » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:45 am

AFAIK, all the lenses have a standard PC connector, but there are a few different models of PC plugs. Try to fing an old Nikon flash cord, the bigger plug might fit.

Season greetings to you and yours,

Sebastien
Abbazz
Site Admin

Return to Tech Talk