Just signed on

A place for threads which would be Off-Topic in other forums.

Moderators: Abbazz, Peter Evans

Just signed on

Postby SteveinAlaska » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:38 am

...and starting a new day here in Fairbanks Alaska where the current temperatures are +5F(-10C) with several inches of snow,6 hrs of daylight and losing about 6 minutes a day for the next5 weeks.
After getting caught up in the photography hobby, I acquired a 1936 Voightlander Bessa RF with the Compur-Rapid shutter and the Helomar 1:3.5 lens. I have my best results with using Ilford Delta 100 and Pan F Plus 50 film. I am able to do my own developing on a Beseler 23cII enlarger with the 6X9 negative holder. In addition, I am able to use a print dryer. With people going digital, I lucked out on getting most of my film equipment.
To end here I also use a Kodak No.2 Brownie Model F,still experimenting with the simplicity and whether to stand with my back to the wind or to face it and should I close my left or right eye! :lol:
SteveinAlaska

Re: Just signed on

Postby Abbazz » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:36 am

SteveinAlaska wrote:...and starting a new day here in Fairbanks Alaska where the current temperatures are +5F(-10C) with several inches of snow,6 hrs of daylight and losing about 6 minutes a day for the next5 weeks.
After getting caught up in the photography hobby, I acquired a 1936 Voightlander Bessa RF with the Compur-Rapid shutter and the Helomar 1:3.5 lens. I have my best results with using Ilford Delta 100 and Pan F Plus 50 film. I am able to do my own developing on a Beseler 23cII enlarger with the 6X9 negative holder. In addition, I am able to use a print dryer. With people going digital, I lucked out on getting most of my film equipment.
To end here I also use a Kodak No.2 Brownie Model F,still experimenting with the simplicity and whether to stand with my back to the wind or to face it and should I close my left or right eye! :lol:

Welcome to the forum, Steve.

Here in Brunei, I can't tell that we will lose much daylight in the coming weeks, because as an equatorial country the total daylight variation between solstices doesn't exceed 30 minutes. As for the temperature, it stays at around 32°C all year round.

The Bessa RF is my favorite folder. I just love its stylish design and the results it delivers. The ideal travel camera. I will post a review one of these days.

You're lucky to have a darkroom at home. I miss the excitement of the prints slowly appearing in the developer under the red light. These scanners are no fun to use compared to a good old Beseler.

My problem with most Kodak MF cameras is that they use the dreaded 620 film. I just hate to have respool or to tinker with the camera just to be able to take pictures. But I must admit that I love my big 3A Special. The 620 Monitor is not bad either. If only I could have them converted to 120 rollfilm format...

Cheers!

Sebastien
Abbazz
Site Admin

Postby dfinglide » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:39 pm

G`Day everyone, I also have just signed on. I have an old Linhof Technica 111, which I bought over twenty years ago, (now I feel old). It came with 4 lenses, a 65 F/6.8,105 F/3.5,180 F/5.5, & a 240 F/5.5. I must admit I haven`t used it much over the years, I shall try and get some scans done & posted. I stumbled onto your site whilst looking for sheet film,and yes I have experianced the miss match in film size. I have some Linhof Film holders & 2 x 2 1/4 x 3 1/4, Graflex film holders. Some years ago I managed to source a box of Ilford FP4, which fits the Graflex holders but not the Linhof ones, mostly I have been useing roll film, but would like to source some film for the Linhof holders. Does anyone know of a supplier in Australia ? Thanks in advance Alan. 8-)
dfinglide

Postby Abbazz » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:03 am

dfinglide wrote:G`Day everyone, I also have just signed on. I have an old Linhof Technica 111, which I bought over twenty years ago, (now I feel old). It came with 4 lenses, a 65 F/6.8,105 F/3.5,180 F/5.5, & a 240 F/5.5. I must admit I haven`t used it much over the years, I shall try and get some scans done & posted. I stumbled onto your site whilst looking for sheet film,and yes I have experianced the miss match in film size. I have some Linhof Film holders & 2 x 2 1/4 x 3 1/4, Graflex film holders. Some years ago I managed to source a box of Ilford FP4, which fits the Graflex holders but not the Linhof ones, mostly I have been useing roll film, but would like to source some film for the Linhof holders. Does anyone know of a supplier in Australia ? Thanks in advance Alan. 8-)

Welcome aboard, Alan.

Judging by the lenses, it seems that your Technika is a 6x9 (2 1/4 x 3 1/4). Your film holders and cut film sheets should match the 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 format. I guess you have a format mismatch problem but you don't state which format your film sheets are.

Linhof doesn't make film holders anymore. Today, new Linhof view cameras are sold with Fidelity holders. You still can find used Linhof holders on eBay, but they tend to fetch high prices. Anyway, you don't have to put original Linhof holders on your camera as any other brand will fit. A second hand Lisco or Fidelity film holder on eBay will not cost you more than a few dollars. Fidelity, Rite-way and Toyo-View film holders are still available new from major photographic supplies shops.

Cheers!

Sebastien
Abbazz
Site Admin

Postby dfinglide » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:52 am

Thanks for the welcome Sebastien. The Linhof holders that I have are marked 6 1/2 x 9 and are of metal construction with plastic dark slides. They were well used by the look of them, some of the silver film indicator labels are missing, those that are left have FP3 and HP3 writtern on them. What films are you currently useing ? Adox or Ilford.
dfinglide

Postby Abbazz » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:13 am

dfinglide wrote:Thanks for the welcome Sebastien. The Linhof holders that I have are marked 6 1/2 x 9 and are of metal construction with plastic dark slides. They were well used by the look of them, some of the silver film indicator labels are missing, those that are left have FP3 and HP3 writtern on them. What films are you currently useing ? Adox or Ilford.

Alan,

The European format is 6 x 9.5 cm, while the American format is 2.25 x 3.25". Maybe that's your problem.

My favorite film is Efke (Adox) 25: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/191269-Fotokemika-Efke-PL-25-M-iso-25-6.5-x-9-cm-25-sheets?cat_id=404

Cheers!

Sebastien
Abbazz
Site Admin

Return to Open Talk